The Alberta Cycling Coalition is a like-minded group of individuals and organization.
Our mission is to:
Make Alberta Roads Safer for Cyclists.
WE aim to do this by:
- Proposing changes to the Traffic Safety Act
- Building our network of support and stakeholders
- Advocating for amendments to current legislation
ACC members have drawn from our combined experience and conducted research into internationally recognized safe cycling practices.
This research led to a report identifying 3 key recommendations to modify the Alberta Traffic Safety Act.
OUR KEY RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Require safe passing distance of one metre, and 1.5m at speeds greater than 60km/h
- Allow two abreast riding, when not impeding flow of traffic
- Cyclists may ride as far right as is safe, versus as is practicable
These recommendations formed part of our White Paper Report, which was sent to Alberta Transportation in January 2019. Following this, an executive summary was presented to former Minster of Transportation Brian Mason in February 2019, which was well received. Staff from Alberta Transportation were directed to begin assessing our key recommendations and conducting a review of how these could inform changes to the Alberta Traffic Safety Act.
We look forward to engaging the new Minister of Transportation Ric McIver in the coming months and discuss the next steps towards a legislative and legal review that would implement changes to make Alberta roads safer for cyclists.
how you can help
We need your support for these changes! By showing the government the importance and support for these recommendations, we will make Alberta roads safer for cyclists.
- Get Informed: Read the White Paper Report we created and presented to the Alberta Ministry of Transportation, which discusses our key recommendations to the TSA
- Contact Your MLA: Use this guide to start a conversation with your elected official about the importance of making Alberta roads safer for all cyclists
- Stay in Touch: Follow us on social media and Become a Member of the Alberta Cycling Coalition by signing up below and join the growing list of people across Alberta who support safer roads for cyclists
- Spread The Word: Invite your friends to join the conversation and help grow our network of support across the province
Become a Member
CLICK the Link below to fill out our Quick Signup Form.